If you'll indulge me to go wildly off-topic, you may have heard that the World Cup is upon us. I am very excited, because, well, it's the World Cup. For the next month, you will find me watching television very early in the morning. Every World Cup brings with it official songs for many of the national teams. Most of them are absolutely terrible, which is why I'm obsessed with them. I have watched a lot of them, good, bad and completely forgettable, so you don't have to. These are my favorites (so far) of 2010.
1. South Korea: T-ara, "We Are the One"
First, a peppy little k-pop anthem called "We Are the One" by girl group T-ara:
2. England: Robbie Williams, Russell Brand, Baddiel & Skinner, "Three Lions 2010"
I was skeptical about the lineup here, but it's actually a pretty good song, real "Parklife"-ish Britpop, and readymade for the terraces.
3. Germany: Ikke Hüftgold, "FUSSBALLGÖTTER"
And then there were the Germans. "Football Gods". Really speaks for itself.
4. Nigeria: Paj ft. Tolumide, "Goalaaaso (Inside the Net)"
Another favorite...this is for the Super Eagles of Nigeria. Awesome afroelectro style.
5. Algeria: various, "1 2 3 Viva l'Algerie"
Last, but of course not least, here's an all-star jam a la "We Are the World" featuring the Algerian entertainment world's biggest names. I assume.