10 June 2010

The World Cup of World Cup Songs




If you'll indulge me to go wildly off-topic, you may have heard that the World Cup is upon us. I am very excited, because, well, it's the World Cup. For the next month, you will find me watching television very early in the morning. Every World Cup brings with it official songs for many of the national teams. Most of them are absolutely terrible, which is why I'm obsessed with them. I have watched a lot of them, good, bad and completely forgettable, so you don't have to. These are my favorites (so far) of 2010.

1. South Korea: T-ara, "We Are the One"

First, a peppy little k-pop anthem called "We Are the One" by girl group T-ara:





2. England: Robbie Williams, Russell Brand, Baddiel & Skinner, "Three Lions 2010"

I was skeptical about the lineup here, but it's actually a pretty good song, real "Parklife"-ish Britpop, and readymade for the terraces.






3. Germany: Ikke Hüftgold, "FUSSBALLGÖTTER"

And then there were the Germans. "Football Gods". Really speaks for itself.





4. Nigeria: Paj ft. Tolumide, "Goalaaaso (Inside the Net)"

Another favorite...this is for the Super Eagles of Nigeria. Awesome afroelectro style.






5. Algeria: various, "1 2 3 Viva l'Algerie"

Last, but of course not least, here's an all-star jam a la "We Are the World" featuring the Algerian entertainment world's biggest names. I assume.


2 comments:

  1. Nice... I didn't even see this until I finished typing up my spiel on old WC/EC songs on Facebook.

    There's also this terrible one currently number four in the French charts:

    Omar & Fred - Bleu, blanc, rouge.

    I think the Algerian song is currently in the French Top 20 charts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Guys check out an anthem in aid of SSAFA who are a charity that support our service men and women. This anthem is for the terraces and is available via download only ! Check out www.floyp.com/englandoria.pdf here you will sample the track read more about the charity and then download from itunes

    ReplyDelete